Belvedere College SJ

College History

In 1841, the Jesuits purchased Belvedere House on neighbouring Great Denmark Street, which gave the school its name.


Belvedere owes its origins to the efforts of John Austin who opened primary and secondary schools off Fishamble Street in 1750. The Society of Jesus has been active in the area around Hardwicke Street since 1790. They founded St Francis Xavier’s College in the disused Poor Clare convent on Hardwicke Street with nine students in 1832, three years after Catholic emancipation.

In 1841, the Jesuits purchased Belvedere House on neighbouring Great Denmark Street, which gave the school its name.

George Augustus Rochfort (1738–1814), who became the second Earl of Belvedere in 1774, built Belvedere House, whose interior decoration was carried out by Michael Stapleton, a leading stucco craftsman of his time.

Belvedere was caught up in the events of the 1916 Rising, when the British military opened fire at the Jesuit residence.

The Jesuits at Belvedere and the neighbouring Gardiner Street Community helped the wounded and distributed food across the locality


The Jesuits at Belvedere and the neighbouring Gardiner Street Community helped the wounded and distributed food across the locality

Please Click the PDF Links below to learn more:

 

Per Vias Rectas

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

This is the Top Title

This is the Main Title Text



Website by ITM Digital